under pressure...!

by | |
Well, the great death (aka law school) has finally begun. I actually don't really want to dwell on the subject. Believe me, I have been thinking about it enough this week. I do work well under pressure, so I suppose it all works out. I would, however, like to report that my first two experiences with being called on in class were successes! My hands were shaking like crazy when Lawson called on me today. Pleadings! Thank God I took extensive notes. Oh, and I am absolutely DYING for some fellow 1L's with discerning musical tastes to reveal themselves. I'M BEGGING YOU.

In better news from this week, I got very nice seats for The Decemberists' show at the Singletary Center! I was very pleasantly surprised. I figured I'd waited too long to get ones that close. Had to shell out a few extra bucks, but oh well. I'm really excited for all the prospects of shows that are in and around Lexington this fall. I just hate that I will more than likely have to miss quite a few good ones. These United States at Buster's, Blitzen Trapper at Southgate House,, and GirlTalk at UK TONIGHT...fantastic.

Here's a new playlist I made to study by. You should check out some of these songs. I'm turned off by most covers, but these are well-done (especially when they make really bad songs good!) Leave me comments with other good ones! I like to call it "Cover Charge." Pun intended.

1. Devendra Banhart-"Forget About Him" (Kath Bloom)
2. Antony and the Johnsons-"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan)
3. Gary Jules-"Mad World" (Tears for Fears)
4. Andrew Bird-"Oh Sister" (Bob Dylan)
5. Kid Lightning-"Straight Outta Compton" (N.W.A.)
6. Elliott Smith-"Thirteen" (Big Star)
7. The Swell Season-"Into the Mystic" (Van Morrison)
8. The Wombats-"Bleeding Love" (Leona Lewis)
9. Hot Club de Paris-"You Can Call Me Al" (Paul Simon)
10. The Arcade Fire-"Five Years" (David Bowie)
11. Sean Lennon-"Would I Be The One" (T. Rex)
12. Okkervil River-"I Came Here to Say I'm Going Away" (Serge Gainsbourg)
13. The Flaming Lips-"Borderline" (Madonna)
14. WHY?-"Close to Me" (The Cure)
15. Calexico-"Alone Again Or" (Love)
16. Daniel Rossen of Grizzly Bear-"Too Little Too Late" (Jojo)
17. The Futureheads-"Hounds of Love" (Kate Bush) *Ra Ra Riot does a great cover of this as well...
18. Glen Hansard-"Cry Me A River" (Justin Timberlake)
19. DeVotchKa-"Venus in Furs" (The Velvet Underground)
20. Blitzen Trapper-"Crazy on You" (Heart)
21. Otis Redding-"Day Tripper" (The Beatles)
22. Rachel Yamagata-"River" (Joni Mitchell)
23. Klaxons-"No Diggity" (Blackstreet)
24. Franz Ferdinand-"All of my Friends" (LCD Soundsystem)
25. Colin Meloy and Laura Gibson-"Bring it on Home to Me" (Sam Cooke. I also recommend the covers by The Animals and The Zombies.)
26. The Wrens-"Nightswimming" (R.E.M.)
27. Cold War Kids-"Indoor Fireworks" (Elvis Costello) *had to throw this in of course...

0 comments:

Post a Comment