Go Local! Vol. 2

by | |
I'm actually keeping up with a series...go me! Today was my annual eye check-up. I knew I wouldn't be able to see to drive after my eyes were dilated, so Geoff offered to drive me. After hearing that my sight is still better than 20/20, I am further convinced that LASIK is a miracle and Dr. Abell must canonized as the patron saint of eyesight. Or something like that.

Anyway, after the check-up, we decided to check out the Parkette Drive-In. It reopened under new management last year, and I'd been wanting to check it out for a long time. According to their website, the drive-in originally opened in 1951. As far as I can see, it still operates on pretty much the same principles. Small dining room area, but mostly catering to in-car service. Geoff was ├╝ber boring with his selection and ordered a hot dog and fries. Luckily, the hot dog was unique (at least to me) in being served on a sesame seed bun. I've never seen that with a dog before. Geoff reports that it was delicious, so I guess being boring worked out for him. I had to go all out and try the Poor Boy, which is apparently one of their signature meals. Two hamburger patties, three pieces of bread, onion, lettuce, pickles, tomato, and "Parkette Sauce." NOTE: I had never eaten a double hamburger before in my life. I ate the whole thing. It wasn't anything out of this world, but it was just simple and tasty.


Yes, the sign still looks exactly like that.


Overall, I just love the idea of a truly local and historic drive-in. Oh, and our waitress was the most friendly I've had in a LONG time. If anyone else has been, I'd love to hear about what you had!

1 comments:

crystal

I'm pretty sure that I just went by that drive-in on Wednesday. I had to go to a work conference (yawn.) in Morehead and passing through Lexington, I remember seeing that drive-in that was advertising "fish boxes" and tried to get the van to stop there for a snack. Now I hate that I didn't convince them to stop there for a minute. That all sounds soooooo good.

Post a Comment