summer reading!

by | |
I want to know--what's on your summer reading list? Now that write-on is over, I can officially read whatever I want. Way too excited. I went to the library yesterday and picked up the following (two are actually movies, but movies are a major thing to me!):

-A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
-Transparent Things by Vladimir Nabokov
-Goya's Ghosts
-The Lives of Others

That covers one all-time favorite author and one new one. I've somehow only seen about the first half an hour of The Lives of Others, so I'm excited to finish it. Give me suggestions, friends! I especially like existentialism, prose, and Russian authors.

3 comments:

Adam

Looks like some light beach reading, haha. I love Eggers and Staggering Genius is an amazing debut, even if it gets a little long at the end. I wrote my master's thesis on Nabokov's Speak, Memory, but have not read Transparent Things.

On my list is a friend's first book, the memoir Bury Me in My Jersey by Tom McAllister, as well as a former teacher's new apocalyptic novel, The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Happy reading!

Carly Anne

Staggering Genius is excellent on all accounts.

I just picked up "Blame" by Michelle Huneven. (http://www.amazon.com/Blame-Novel-Michelle-Huneven/dp/0374114307)

It was a staff pick at my favorite independent bookstore here in Chicago. I'm roughly half way through and really enjoying it It's engaging enough to keep me tuned-in in spite of a crazy work week, but languid enough to feel like a summer read.

XO
Carly

All this is Grace and Charm
http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

Soph!

What did you think of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius? I think I'm the only person that didn't like it. I had to force myself to finish it

Post a Comment